Following your engagement you will probably have spent loads of time browsing websites, wedding blogs, pinterest, wedding fairs and wedding magazines for inspiration. Once you have decided on the date you will want to let your family and friends know, so they can join you on the big day.
Your Save the Date card or invitation will be the first impression your guests will have of the wedding and it will set the tone. Even if you haven’t totally finalised the theme and colours, the stationery will need to be in a similar style to the final event.
But it is not just colour and design you need to think about when selecting stationery, cost, quality, timescales and expertise are all things you need to consider too. You may meet a stationer at a wedding fair whose designs you love, you may want to buy from an on-line stationer like ourselves, or you may choose to buy from the High Street.
Here is our checklist of things you need to think about when choosing not only your stationery, but also your stationer.
- Custom or template – do you want bespoke stationery, or are you happy to choose from a range of designs that can be personalised. Can you choose the colour of the designs and your wording and is there a choice of paper and font. Can you easily incorporate your own photo?
- Range on offer – is there a wide range of stationery that can suit your style and your budget. You need to consider the practicalities of a design – if the invitation is over 5mm thick you will have to pay more when posting them out. Ribbons and other embellishments can easily make the invitation too thick for regular postage.
- Is it Eco-friendly? Does your stationer offer options for recycled paper or non-toxic inks?
- Customer service – is it easy to contact the designer/stationer to discuss your requirements and your wording? Is it easy to order the product?
- What is included – when you are looking at prices check to see what’s included in the price – are envelopes an extra, how much is personalisation, do you get a proof, is post and packaging included?
- Samples – Can you get free samples to see for yourself the quality of the paper/card/envelopes?
- Does the stationer supply the full range of wedding stationery – if you have decided on a great theme you will want to carry it right through to the wedding day, so make sure you can also get orders of service, place cards, table plans and thank you cards in the same design.
- Is there a package price? Is there a discounted package for ordering the full range of stationery at once?
- Turn-around time – What is the turn-around time for design and for printing. Does it cost more for an “express” service – this can be very important as you approach the wedding as it is easy to forget an item of stationery or you may need a last minute change.
- Refund Policy – Check out the refund policy if the stationer makes a mistake or if the wedding is cancelled.
- Company Credentials – How long has the business you are ordering from been established, what is their design background, can you get references from other couples (not just testimonials on their website)?
By answering these questions to your satisfaction you can be confident that the stationery you receive will be your style, good value for money and delivered on time.